Who can apply?
Due to limited capacity, the Pre-Professional Health Sciences Academy strand is only open to seniors.
How do I apply?
- Applicants must complete the online application form.
- Applicants will submit an essay that addresses the following questions:
- Why are you interested in the Spark! Pre-Professional Health Sciences Academy program?
- What do you hope to gain from this experience?
Student essays are to be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on January 28, 2018. Applicants will copy and paste their essay into their online application.
How is my application evaluated?
Students will be evaluated for acceptance based on the following criteria: Attendance, Conduct/Discipline, GPA, Teacher Recommendations and Student Essay. Essays must have at least 150 words and will be scored based on the following criteria:
- Organization and focus
- Clear main ideas and supporting details
- Essay stays on topic
- Vivid details, fresh word choices
- Writer’s voice
- Consistent throughout
- Conveys individual personality
- Freedom from error
- Spelling, grammar, punctuation, usage, etc.
- Overall success
- Clearly developed ideas
The Pre-Professional Health Sciences Academy strand can accommodate 15 students. All students must have a negative drug screen in order to participate. In addition, all students must submit proof of a two-step PPD test prior to the start of school. Please note, the two-step PPD process can take up to 4 doctor’s visits.