What Makes Spark! Unique?
- Students from Parkway and Rockwood School Districts are working collaboratively through their participation in Spark!
- Students are able to pursue a personal direction based on an understanding of their talents and interests while accessing a frequently iterated curriculum shaped by industry partners based on the latest industry trends.
- Students are supported by a robust network of business and community partners.
- Students learn at off-site, authentic workspaces during school hours for academic credit.
- Students co-create their Spark! experiences based on their interests with feedback from peers and mentors.
Meet The Team
Engineering Program Director
Incubator Program Director
Bioscience Program Director
Pre-Professional Health Sciences Academy Program Director
Teaching & Learning Program Director
Sports Medicine Program Director
Technology Solutions Program Director
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to have your own transportation to participate in Spark!?
What are the requirements to apply for Spark!?
Students interested in Spark! must:
- Be on track to graduate
- Have a desire to work in a project and problem-based real-world environment with other Parkway and Rockwood high school students
- Be willing to comply with business ethics, attendance, and dress codes as determined by the Spark! Program Director
- Be willing to spend 5-7 hours per week away from home high school
Each strand has unique acceptance criteria based on feedback from our industry partners. Check the Apply Now pages for more information.
What type of credit do students earn for participating in Spark!?
Students earn high school elective credit for their participation in Spark!. In some cases, a CTE credit may be awarded based on student graduation needs. In addition, each Spark! strand offers the opportunity to earn college credit through various colleges and universities.
Spark! Engineering is the only Spark! strand that offers honors credit.
If you have concerns regarding your credits for graduation, please contact your counselor.
How does Spark! fit into a student’s schedule?
Spark! strands meet in either the morning or the afternoon. Morning strands meet from 7:30-10:00 a.m. and afternoon strands meet from 11:45-2:15 p.m.
A Spark! seat is equal to one student present for two-four class periods (depending on the student’s home school schedule).
Once students are selected for Spark!, counselors will work with them to adjust their schedule.
How are Spark! strands determined?
We regularly assess the evolving needs of our global community in an effort to provide opportunities for students to experience high-demand, high-wage industry areas. All Parkway stakeholders are encouraged to bring attention to potential strands that would address the aforementioned needs.
What is a Spark! strand?
Spark! experiences are organized in strands based on the career or industry field they represent. For the 2020-2021 school year, there will be seven Spark! strands:
- Pre-Professional Health Sciences Academy,
- Sports Medicine,
- Teaching & Learning, and
- Technology Solutions.